Canada immigration news: Spouses or common-law partners being sponsored for permanent residence from within Canada can work while their application is being processed by applying for an Open Work Permit.
Eligible candidates must be in Canada and in the process of being sponsored for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. Candidates must also have valid temporary status as a visitor, student or worker and live at the same address as their sponsor.
Read More Canada Immigration News
Spouse And Partner Immigration 2021: Indian Citizens Dominate Permanent Residence Figures
Spouse And Partner Immigration: Which Canadian Provinces Welcomed Most Newcomers In 2021?
Spouse and Partner Immigration To Canada Numbers Recover In 2021
Who Qualifies For An Open Work Permit Under The Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class?
Spouses or Common-Law partners who:
- Are being sponsored to become Canadian permanent residents.
- Are the spouse or common-law partner of their sponsor.
- Live with their sponsor/spouse/partner.
- Have temporary resident status in Canada.
How to Apply for a Spousal Work Permit
To apply for the spousal work permit, choose the situation that applies to you:
1) Those submitting a new application for permanent residence can apply for the work permit at the same time. Send both completed applications to one of the following addresses:
CPC – Mississauga
PO Box 5040, Station B
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is currently testing an online system for submitting applications under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. Applicants may be selected to apply online as part of the testing process.
2) Those who have already submitted a permanent residence application can complete a form for the special work permit online, before mailing it to the Case Processing Centre at the following address:
Case Processing Centre – Edmonton
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3
3) Those who have already been approved in principle for permanent residence without passing medical, security and background checks can apply online.
4) Those who already have a work permit under the pilot will need to apply for an extension before their status lapses.