Canada immigration news: Ontario targets tech occupations with regular Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) draws through its Express Entry-linked Human Capital Priorities stream.
The province, which has the largest PNP by federal government allocation, also has three of the foremost tech hubs in North America, in Toronto, Ottawa and the Waterloo Region.
It means tech talent immigrating to Ontario should have plenty of employment options, especially given the current tight labour market.
Read More Canada Immigration News
Ontario To Align OINP With New National Occupational Classification System
Ontario Skilled Trades Draw: Province Issues Over 1,500 Canada Immigration NOIs
Ontario PNP Draw: Province Issues 782 Invitations Through 3 Streams
Candidates receiving a nomination from the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) get an additional 600 points added to their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. This effectively guarantees an Invitation to Apply (ITA) in the next Express Entry draw.
The OINP has an initial allocation of 9,750 nominations in 2022, up from 8,600 for 2021. It regularly reaches its allocation and is given extra places, meaning it is likely to nominate more than 10,000 candidates this year.
Human Capital Priorities Stream Dominates OINP 2021 Nominations
|Stream||Number of nominations|
|Employer Job Offer: International Student stream||1,240|
|Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills stream||540|
|Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker stream||1,705|
|PhD Graduate stream||212|
|Masters Graduate stream||1,202|
|Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades stream||177|
|Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities stream||3,513|
|Ontario’s Express Entry French-Speaking Skilled Worker stream||410|
Human Capital Priorities Tech Draws
Ontario targets six specific technology sector occupations with tech draws from the Express Entry pool as part of the HCP stream.
Candidates must have experience in one of the six occupations to qualify.
HCP Tech Draws: Target Occupations
- Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173)
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers (NOC 2174)
- Computer engineers (NOC 2147)
- Web designers and developers (NOC 2175)
- Database analysts and data administrators (NOC 2172)
- Computer and information systems managers (NOC 0213)
Tech Jobs Top List Of 2021 OINP Nominations
|National Occupational Classification (NOC)||Occupations||Number of nominations|
|NOC 2173||Software engineers and designers||792|
|NOC 124||Advertising, marketing and public relations managers||482|
|NOC 1111||Financial auditors and accountants||382|
|NOC 2174||Computer programmers and interactive media developers||374|
|NOC 6311||Food service supervisors||353|
|NOC 7511||Transport truckdrivers||325|
|NOC 2172||Database analysts and data administrators||319|
|NOC 1122||Professional occupations in business management consulting||267|
|NOC 601||Corporate sales managers||258|
|NOC 213||Computer and information systems managers||252|
|NOC 1121||Human resources professionals||186|
|NOC 122||Banking, credit and other investment managers||183|
|NOC 2175||Web designers and developers||167|
|NOC 1112||Financial and investment analysts||164|
|NOC 1241||Administrative assistants||148|
|NOC 2147||Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)||133|
|NOC 1215||Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling co-ordination occupations||122|
|NOC 114||Other administrative services managers||114|
|NOC 4163||Business development officers, marketing researchers, consultants||103|
|All other occupations||3,758|
Candidates must also meet the general requirements of the HCP stream.
This stream is designed for skilled workers who wish to live and work in Ontario, and who have proven skills and abilities to successfully establish themselves in the province.
Ontario HCP: General Requirements
- Ongoing profile under the Federal Express Entry system and qualify for the FSWP or the CEC.
- Hold a minimum of 1-year of full-time, or full-time equivalent work experience under NOC occupation level 0, A or B, in the past five years if applying under the FSWP or in the past three years if applying under CEC.
- Hold the equivalent of a Canadian bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Show language proficiency of minimum CLB/NCLC level 7 in English or in French.
- Intention to reside in the province of Ontario.
- Residing with legal status in Canada, if applicable.
- Proof of required settlement funds.
- Minimum Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System score as determined by the director under period draws.