Canada Opens Electronic Travel Authorization To Eligible Travellers From 13 New Countries

Canada Opens Electronic Travel Authorization To Eligible Travellers From 13 New Countries
Canada immigration free assessment

Canada has opened up the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for eligible travellers from 13 new countries, including five in the Caribbean.

Immigration Minister Sean Fraser on Tuesday opened visa-free travel to travellers from the countries.

To qualify, travellers from the 13 countries must have either held a Canadian visa in the last 10 years or who currently hold a valid United States non-immigrant visa when travelling to Canada by air.

The 13 countries are:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Costa Rica
  • Morocco
  • Panama
  • Philippines
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Seychelles
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uruguay

The decision allows travellers from the countries to visit Canada for up to six months for either business or leisure without needing a visa.

Read More Canada Immigration News

Canada Express Entry To Begin Occupation-Based Draws Targeting 82 Jobs
International Students In Canada: Top 10 Most Important Source Countries
Lower CRS Scores The Likely Result Of Canada Express Entry Occupation-Specific Draws

It will also divert thousands of applications from Canada’s visa caseload. Canada is currently battling a huge backload of Temporary Resident Visa applications.

Those from the 13 countries who already have a valid visa can continue to use it to travel to Canada. Those not eligible, or who are travelling by transport other than air, will still need a visit visa.

“This expansion not only enhances convenience for travellers, it will also increase travel, tourism and economic benefits, as well as strengthen global bonds with these 13 countries,” Fraser said.

Watch Video

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?

Foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving in Canada by air are required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to their trip. This is a requirement whether they want to visit the country or only to pass through in transit.

Do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization?

You need an eTA if you are travelling to Canada by air from a visa-exempt country.

The following are exempt from requiring an eTA:

  • Those who have already obtained a valid visa to enter Canada.
  • Anyone entering by land or sea.
  • Armed Forces visiting Canada on official duty.
  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators.
  • French citizens who live in and are travelling from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • Persons entering from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, while holding valid status in Canada (visitor, student or worker).
  • Accredited diplomats.
  • Canadian citizens and dual citizens (provided you are travelling on a Canadian passport)
  • Canadian permanent residents (you need your PR card or point of entry documentation)
  • US citizens and permanent residents.

How do I get an Electronic Travel Authorization?

You can apply for an eTA through the Canadian federal government website.

Before you apply, you will need:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid email address
  • Credit card to pay the $7 fee

When should I apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization?

The Canadian government advises you to apply as soon as you know your travel itinerary.

However, an eTA can be obtained at the last minute via a smartphone. All you need is an internet connection. The email authorization often only takes a few minutes to come through. However, some requests can take several days to process if supporting documents are requested.

There is no requirement to print an eTA. It is electronically linked to your passport or travel document.

How long is an Electronic Travel Authorization valid for?

An eTA is valid for five years or until your passport or travel document expires, whichever comes first.

There is no limit on the number of entries to Canada, as long as the eTA is valid.

Canada immigration free assessment
Previous articleOntario Issues 417 NOIs Targeting 98 Jobs in New French Speaking Skilled Worker Draw
Next articleBritish Columbia Issues At Least 158 Canada Immigration Invitations In New PNP Draws
Colin Singer
Colin Singer is an international acclaimed Canadian immigration lawyer and founder of featured on Wikipedia. Colin Singer is also founding director of the Canadian Citizenship & Immigration Resource Center (CCIRC) Inc. He served as an Associate Editor of ‘Immigration Law Reporter’, the pre-eminent immigration law publication in Canada. He previously served as an executive member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Quebec and National Immigration Law Sections and is currently a member of the Canadian Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Colin has twice appeared as an expert witness before Canada’s House of Commons Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration. He is frequently recognized as a recommended authority at national conferences sponsored by government and non-government organizations on matters affecting Canada’s immigration and human resource industries. Since 2009, Colin has been a Governor of the Quebec Bar Foundation a non-profit organization committed to the advancement of the profession, and became a lifetime member in 2018.