Open For 2023: International Experience Canada Work Permit Program

Open For 2023: International Experience Canada Work Permit Program
Canada immigration free assessment

The 2023 season of the International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit program is now open.

Invitations to apply are already being issued to candidates in the pool, with 90,000 young people set to come to the country via the program this year.

Canada hopes the expansion of the program, announced in December, will help fill labour shortages.

“Our government supports international youth to work and travel in Canada, effectively helping employers find the workers they need,” said Immigration Minister Sean Fraser, who announced the IEC 2023 opening on Monday, January 9.

“By giving youth the opportunity to gain international travel and work experience, we are strengthening our economy and creating a win-win solution for everyone involved.”

Read More Canada Immigration News

2023 International Experience Canada Program To Take 20% More Applications
Applications Open For International Experience Canada 2022
Final 2021 International Experience Canada Program Invitations Issued Friday

The IEC pools opened in December and usually close in the fall. International youth aged between 18 and 35 from 36 countries can qualify to come to Canada to work and travel for two years. 

There are three categories under the IEC program:

1. Working Holiday

The Working Holiday category is for candidates looking to fund a vacation with temporary work in Canada.

Candidate Profile

  • You don’t have a job offer.
  • You want to work for more than one employer.
  • You want to work in more than one location.
  • You would like to earn some money so you can travel.

Working Holiday candidates receive an open work permit.

2. International Co-Op (Internship)

The International Co-Op categories are aimed at candidates looking for overseas work experience int heir field of study.

Candidate Profile

  • You are a student registered at a post-secondary institution.
  • You have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada.
  • You need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies.
  • You will work for the same employer in the same location during your stay.

International Co-Op category candidates receive an employer-specific work permit. Internships must be directly linked to the field of study.

Wages must follow the labour laws in a specific province or territory. The law determines if an internship needs to be paid.

3. Young Professionals

The Young Professionals category is for those looking to gain Canadian professional work experience.

Candidate Profile

  • You have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development.
  • You will work for the same employer in the same location.

Under this category, work must be paid and not self-employed.

Young Professionals category candidates receive an employer-specific work permit.

Job Requirements

  • The employer must meet labour laws in the province or territory, including minimum wage.
  • The job offer must be classified as National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B.
  • NOC C jobs might be accepted if you can submit a post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, with your work permit application. Your diploma, certificate or degree must be translated to English or French.

Countries Part of International Experience Canada Program

Australia Hong Kong Portugal
Austria Ireland San Marino
Belgium Italy Slovakia
Chile Japan Slovenia
Costa Rica South Korea Spain
Croatia Latvia Sweden
Czech Republic Lithuania Switzerland
Denmark Mexico Taiwan
Estonia Netherlands Ukraine
France New Zealand United Kingdom
Germany Norway
Greece Poland
Canada immigration free assessment