Quebec has published details of the number of applications to be received under its business immigration programs.
The announcement from the Ministry of Immigration, Francization and Integration (MIFI) on Wednesday, October 28 features application limits for the Quebec Self-Employed Program and the Quebec Entrepreneur Program.
In the same announcement, Quebec also changed the application process for its refugee sponsorship program.
Quebec Issues 365 Invitations in Largest Expression of Interest Draw of 2020
Quebec restarts its international recruitment missions to snag international talent and boost economy
Quebec Arrima Expression of Interest: 7 Invited In First Draw Since January
Quebec Self-Employed Program
Quebec says it will receive 50 applications for the Self-Employed Program between November 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021.
To qualify under the Quebec Self-Employed Program, applicants must meet the following conditions that differentiate them from the Quebec Skilled Worker Program:
- have two years of self-employed experience, in the profession or trade they intend to practice in Quebec;
- possess a personal net worth of $100,000, alone or with an accompanying spouse or common-law partner;
- register a start-up deposit of at least $50,000 if the self-employed candidate is based in the metropolitan area of Montreal, and $25,000 if the candidate is located outside of Montreal.
Quebec Entrepreneur Program
Under the first stream of the Entrepreneur Program, Quebec will receive 25 applications between November 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021. The stream is for immigrants coming to Quebec to create a business in Quebec with support from a business accelerator, a business incubator or a university entrepreneurship centre.
Applications for the second stream of the program are suspended for a year for review and improvement purposes. This stream is for those wishing to create or buying an existing business.
The Quebec Entrepreneur Program aims to recruit individuals who have the skills and experience to operate a business in the province. The program was revamped in 2018 and is now operating under two streams:
- First stream consists in creating a business in Quebec with support from a business accelerator, a business incubator or a university entrepreneurship centre.
- Second stream consists of creating or buying an existing business, of which the entrepreneur must control at least 25% if it’s a new enterprise, or at least 51% of an acquired enterprise.
Quebec Refugee Sponsorship Applications
Quebec will accept sponsorship commitment requests from groups of 2 to 5 people from April 6 to May 5, 2021. The requests must be submitted online, with a random draw selecting successful candidates.
MIFI says it will receive 750 applications in 2021. Applications from organizations are suspended until November 1, 2021 to allow a criminal and administrative investigation to take place “following serious allegations that call into question the integrity of the actions of certain organizations for the protection of refugees”.